5.0 Mustang & Super Fords
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baby's gonna be getting a heart transplant...

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Default My baby's gonna be getting a heart transplant...

As you've all seen, I absolutely love my car. For a little sixer, she's not too shabby; but... I believe the time has come to move on to bigger and better things. Mainly in the form of 2 extra cylinders.

A friend I've gotten to know very well through work is also a huge Mustang enthusiast. He's got an '89 Fox with a highly modded 302, and a '66 pushing over 500. (I've been trying to get him on here, but more on his cars at a later time) Well, he's gotten a different motor to swap into his F-150, so he's giving me the 4.6 coming out of his truck. We're doing the swap Wednesday morning, and then after that's completed, my motor is getting torn down so cylinder walls and pistons can be inspected, and a compression test done. That will determine whether I leave the block alone and replace pistons, or overbore and start fresh.

Initial plans are:
    Either new stock size pistons or .020 or .030 overbore with new pistons
    Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads - 44cc Combustion Chamber
    Comp Cams XE274H or XE278AH Boom Sticks
    Either PI Intake or possibly Typhoon or Track Heat intake
    AccuFab Plenum and 75mm Throttle Body
    JLT CAI
    Upgraded Fuel System
    More coming later

Thoughts, advice, feedback?

Swapping the 3.8 for the 4.6?
    John Garner
    2001 Performance Red GT
    Southeastern Fox bodies, Sunset Cruisers, Cruise In the Park, Cars and Coffee Owensboro, Crazy Horse Mustang Club
    Facebook and jl12g @ IG

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

3.9, but yes. Got the 4.6 pulled out tonight, so time to start finding pieces.

You need a V8 K member or you can cut and weld the current mounts, the engine harness should be a plug and play, and of course computer.
    Are you using the same trans?
    Sounds like a great winter project.
    John Garner
    2001 Performance Red GT
    Southeastern Fox bodies, Sunset Cruisers, Cruise In the Park, Cars and Coffee Owensboro, Crazy Horse Mustang Club
    Facebook and jl12g @ IG

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ESGT View Post
    You need a V8 K member or you can cut and weld the current mounts, the engine harness should be a plug and play, and of course computer.
    Are you using the same trans?
    Sounds like a great winter project.
    will probably change out the mounts, I have plenty of friends that look for reasons to weld, so it's perfect for them. lol
    will get a harness and computer, believe I'll need a GT radiator as well iirc.

Yes, plan on using the same trans.

This will likely be a spring project started after tax time.

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Motor is torn down. Cylinder walls have been honed, and the entire block dipped. The crankshaft was polished and reinstalled with a fresh set of bearings.

10846254_10205662282385137_943975019390663343_n.jpg

I've been talking with the guy helping me store/build this thing, and we decided to paint the block and valve covers. We had originally thought to do it the newer, darker version of Ford Blue. We found a sample of it, and it was too dark. I work at Home Depot, so we went to our paint department, picked a color similar to it that looked really good. We got a sample made of that, then took that to an automotive paint shop to have it matched into a high-heat enamel paint. We were not disappointed. Just have to tape off and paint the block, oil pan, and 2nd valve cover now.

10394473_10205704434638917_8911177692657448809_n.jpg

A friend of his does car detailing, as well as some painting and pin-striping. We're taking the valve covers to him to add a little personality to them.

Sadly, that's all the updates I have for the project. A parts spree and the resurrection of the motor begins in January after Christmas and everything is over. Found a forged piston/rod/ring combo from MMR that's getting bought first, then come the Twisted Wedge heads and cams. Can't wait to see this thing come together.

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Whew, been a busy month and a half. Where to begin? For starters, the block is painted. Sprayed it with the same paint that went on the valve covers, and... it is gorgeous. Also picked up an OEM water pump and a can of high-heat paint from O'Reillys. The paint is a "titanium silver" color that has a touch of blue in it. It's unique enough to make you stop and go "something's different...", but still contrasting enough to look good.

10379786_10206189325840894_6172503705917816625_o.jpg10987433_10206189324920871_7612796432561819849_o.jpg

Obviously we oversprayed just a touch, so we'll touch the block back up before everything else gets installed. Picked up that Forged combo I had mentioned in my last post. Consists of Manley Forged Pistons, Forged I-Beam Rods with ARP Hardware, and Total Seal Piston Rings. We assembled the pistons and had them ready to go.

10498031_10206189328560962_2401197568251900171_o.jpg

Went to Advance and picked up their Autocraft piston ring compressor since my buddy had left his KD Tools one in Myrtle Beach at his parent's place. Made it through 4 pistons perfectly fine, then on the 5th the compressor wouldn't hold anymore and sprung open as we were driving the piston into the block. It shattered the middle ring on that piston and put a stop to our progress. Got the tool replaced and we're talking to their manager trying to get a replacement ring since their tool's failure is the reason it broke.

That's pretty much it on build progress, but I have stockpiled a few parts now. I'm on a parts group on Facebook, and managed to score a Typhoon intake, PP Plenum, and BBK 75mm Throttle Body for $400. I need to replace a little bit of hardware that got bent during shipping, but bolts are cheap. Also picked up a MAC Prochamber for cheap from the same group. It's the one for Longtubes, so my plans are Pacesetter LTs and SLP LM1s. I know the Pacesetters are cheap, but my buddy put them on his 02 GT before he sold it. They sounded really good, and he said he never had any problems out of them. The only downside is installation and finish. But I'm pulling everything out anyway so installation should be easier, and my buddy knows a guy who does ceramic powder coating locally, so finish won't be a problem either.

10988575_10206189327560937_6770543015359849076_o.jpg

Also got some really good news. I had originally sent Comp Cams back the cam and valve springs I had bought for my 3.9 a long while back and they had agreed to swap it out, plus paying the difference, for a new set of cams for the 4.6 being built. Well, I shipped it back via USPS, and it got lost. Filed a claim, USPS wouldn't pay crap, so I thought I was pretty much SOL. Well, the day I got my tax return back and bought the stuff from MMR, I get an email from the Comp Cams rep saying my stuff had finally arrived. We went through the details and I paid the difference for a set of XE270AH cams, which ended up being like $120. He said they were out of those on the shelf in the warehouse, but he had the blanks in stock and would cut my set fresh as soon as everything was processed. So I should be getting the cams in any day now. It's a cool feeling knowing your cams were ground to order.

Aside from all that, really nothing new going on. Just gotta finish the bottom end, save up for heads, and finish assembly. After that, it's mostly tech stuff. Wiring, computer, install, tuning, etc.

Good progress, that should be a good looking, sounding engine. Hope to see and hear it this year.
    John Garner
    2001 Performance Red GT
    Facebook and jl12g @ IG

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ESGT View Post
    Good progress, that should be a good looking, sounding engine. Hope to see and hear it this year.
    Appreciate it man. Goal is to have it finished and at the beach, even if it's only a Friday/Saturday trip. Ideally I have the fundage for the whole week, but I WILL be down there regardless.

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Hey mods, can I get this moved into the 2015 Projects section, please? Thank you!

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Wow, it's been a while...

Well, minus the oil pump, bottom end is finished and ready to be buttoned up. Also just bought the heads tonight from Summit and they've shipped out from the Ohio building. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Ended up going with these...
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...-m44/overview/
    And yes... my wallet feels like it just got hit by a freight train. But, it'll be worth it. Just gotta pick up roller followers and a head-changing kit, then I can get the top end pieced together.

I've also gotten a radiator and overflow tank from East Coast Mustangs in Travelers Rest, SC. Gotta go back and pick up the computer and harness, a hydroboost system, alternator, injectors, and get a reflash from Ford so the computer, gauge cluster, ignition, and keys will all get along. Stupid PATS system...

Time's running out, but the heavy spending is over. Just gotta get the little stuff and put it all together. Can't wait to get it finished, installed, and fired up.

Dang, it was probably about October or earlier when I disappeared from this forum and now I'm coming back to see all this progress has been made with your build. Good news for sure. Burning question is if it's going to be ready for Mustang Week '15 in time.
    DR. CALEB YOUNTS
    2003 True Blue V6 - The Scourge
    2002 True Blue Saleen S281SC

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheScourge232V6 View Post
    Burning question is if it's going to be ready for Mustang Week '15 in time.
    One way or another I'm shooting like hell for it to be done.

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning... the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads came in today, and they're beautiful! Lol.

Also bought a set of Bosch 30# injectors last night, which should ideally be here late this week or very early next. Also got my intake and timing cover gaskets from O'Reillys this afternoon, just gotta stop by and pick them up on my way to work. Perks of working across the street from an auto parts store!

Ordering lifters and a high-flow Ford Racing oil pump from Summit on Friday, and picking up an alternator from the same guy I bought my Prochamber midpipe from. Once I get all that in, the bottom end will be 100% done, and I can have the heads completely assembled. Only thing after that is a head-changing kit and the motor is 100% assembled. Computer, harness, gauge cluster, and a hydroboost and it's ready to swap out. This is getting real, really fast.

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Update:

Finally got to do some more work on the motor last night after working on my buddy's 93 for a while. To start, the rotating assembly got to where it wouldn't rotate. We pulled the pistons out to inspect them and found one piston had a bent ring, which we fixed, and the last one on the driver's side was actually somewhat stuck because of another ring being slightly too big. We pulled the rings and individually filed them to be 100% sure they were perfect, and used extra lube during reinstallation. After each piston was installed, capped, and snugged, we tested the crank to make sure everything rotated freely. After all 8 went in, tested it, and we were good to go.

While my buddy was doing the filing and test fitting, I was assembling the heads (lifters, cams, etc). I think it literally took all of 20 minutes to do completely correct.
    20150602_201447.jpg

While installing the cams, I did come across some markings on one camshaft. I know there's a company for Mustangs called American Muscle, but I definitely took this as a sign... #Merica!!!
    20150602_193359.jpg

After that, I torqued the cam cap bolts while Phillip installed rear main seal and the rear cover. We also installed the oil pump and pickup tube. We placed the oil pan on it to mock it up and make sure everything fit, then realized the GT's oil pan and the truck block's oil pan is a bit different because the tube was hitting the pan. I have to go pick up a tube specifically for the truck, which is no big deal.

After that, flipped the motor back over, laid down the head gaskets, and fit the heads onto the block. After placing them and snugging down the head bolts, we went back to torque the bolts and holy crap. Instructions from Trick Flow said to torque 30 ft/lb, rotate 90*, then rotate another 90*. After that last round of rotations, I'm pretty certain those heads are extremely secure. Took a step back after installation, and it's safe to say I'm loving how this motor looks.
    20150602_231347.jpg

I'm going either this weekend or very early next week to get the computer, harness, ccrm, hydroboost, transmission, and gauge cluster from CockyGT's friend in Rock Hill. I came across the deal of a lifetime for those parts, so there's absolutely no way I'm turning that down. Also picked up a set of Professional Products fuel rails from Brother's Performance out of Florida. And the A/C Delete I got from American Muscle was missing the bolts, so I had to contact Ford Racing, or Ford Performance, whatever it's called now. They shipped out some bolts yesterday, so it's going on as soon as the bolts come in.

Phillip has a friend/neighbor that does powder coating that I mentioned in an earlier post, so I'm getting the Pacesetter's ceramic coated for cheap. We're also painting the Typhoon intake the same color as the water pump, and painting the cold air intake tube the same blue as the motor. Might go ahead and get that ready to go while we wait for those last parts. But after that, it's the odd/ends (hoses, sensors, etc) and accessories (alternator, starter, etc), and we're ready to get a swap done.

Keep digging, man. We're all rooting for you.
    DR. CALEB YOUNTS

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheScourge232V6 View Post
    Keep digging, man. We're all rooting for you.
    Appreciate it brother, it'll get there

Updates?
    DR. CALEB YOUNTS

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Awaiting cam bolts and spacers from Ford to finish getting timing set and having the motor itself completely finished. Those will be in Monday. Got that Ford Racing Timing Kit from MMR, which was a killer deal, but included no hardware. Got part numbers from the install manual PDF from the Summit site, ordered from fordparts.com, got them in, tried to use them today, completely wrong parts. Called comp cams, got the part numbers directly from them, which actually ended up being different, and ordered the new parts this afternoon. Stressful, but we're good. Once that gets in, it'll be a breeze to have the rest of the motor assembled and ready to put onto the K-Member and bolt back in.

Also having to call Kurgan and Pro Dyno on Monday to see who can write a basic "break-in safe tune" to load onto the car once the swap itself is finished, and depending on who does it, see if Kurgan can dial in the tune the Monday before we leave, or if Pro Dyno can do the same while we're at the beach.

Once that's settled, CockyGT, his buddy Jeremy, my friend helping with the build, and probably a couple other sets of hands are going a local shop another connection of mine owns. It's got a 2-Post lift and a good amount of tools and whatnot, so we can do everything we need to do. We're either starting that the afternoon of the 8th or first thing in the morning of the 9th. If things go to plan, I'll drive the car to work the night of the 10th with everything complete and complete the break-in period that weekend.

Gonna be a tight schedule and a ton of last-minute stuff, but I have faith we'll get it done. Keep fingers crossed!

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Well, after a couple of calls and text conversations, my worst fears were confirmed. As much as it pains me to say, the new motor won't be in the car for Mustang Week.

Spoke with Chris, CockyGT on here, and the original plan for him to come take the lead on the swap (since I've never done it before) was put on the back burner for a while. His project's taken a little longer to do than originally thought, and he's still got a good bit to finish before MW starts. His is an absolute necessity to have the car together since it has a show spot. Mine still runs and drives currently, so the new power plant can wait a few more weeks. Also spoke to both Kurgan and Pro Dyno, and the way their schedules were, there was no way the car would've seen the dyno to be tuned at either place before MW began... so, no real choice in the matter but to pump the brakes and hold off for a while.

As much as it absolutely sucks to be stuck with the 6 for one more MW, it's actually for the best. No more stress to get everything set up and done in a week. I can actually help my buddy get his fox finished up (exhaust, clutch, odds and ends). Plus it gives me time to actually buy/replace control arms and a couple other things that really needed to be done. Not to mention freedom to fully enjoy my vacation.

This will pick back up as soon as we get back from the beach though, so keep your eyes on this thread. The motor itself will have timing set and be 95% assembled before we leave, so it won't be too long after MW until it goes in.