Street Car 1320
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang Week on a budget

Default Mustang Week on a budget

I wanted to start this so we could post some tips on how to get the most out of your MW experience.

When you look at our events
    Tuesday is Free

Wednesday MB Speedway $5 spectator fee & if you hang out you can watch the wheels of destruction show

Thursday morning you can check out the dyno shootout for free & check out tons of cars parked around the mall.
    9am-12 hang out at Hooters before we pull out to drag night & that only cost $10 to spectator

Friday $30 pre register only car show Free to spectators
    Sat Free Cruise In

http://www.mustangweek.com/news/show...p?articleID=33
    Last edited by snkchmr; 03-26-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    Mike Clay
    Gretna VA
    Mustang Week Staff
    1980 Cobra
    1982 GT
    02 GT vert
    2011 F 150

Look for a hotel off the beach & with free breakfast. We just stayed at the Fairfield & it saves a ton when you get a free meal

This is a list of our hotels off the beach

Fairfield Inn Broadway at the Beach
    1350 Paradise Circle
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
    Phone: 1-843-444-8097

Comfort Suites
    710 Frontage Rd. East
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
    Phone: 1-843-448-4884

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
    730 Frontage Rd. East
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
    Phone: 1-843-448-4899

Hampton Inn Harbourgate
    2112 Little River Neck Rd
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
    843-249-1997

Red Roof Inn
    2801 South Kings Highway
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
    843-626-4444
    Mike Clay
    Gretna VA
    Mustang Week Staff
    1980 Cobra
    1982 GT
    02 GT vert
    2011 F 150

The beach is free. spending a morning with your family at the beach is priceless! Pack sammiches and have a beach picnic, then head to the various MW activities. Top off the night with a drive down to the Ferris Wheel, pull up a sit on the sidewalk and watch the Mustangs go by. Count them, play license tag bingo, enjoy the cool beach breezes, make a lasting memory for your family. Meet new friends, gather with old ones, and wonder why it can't be like this every week! Then count down the next 51 weeks until the next "best week of the year"...
    Thanks,
    Keith Keplinger
    Keplinger Designs, Inc.
    keith@KeplingerDesigns.com

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

*As soon as you get into town, get one of those Monster coupon books and whatever other ones they have printed out. Usually you get the typical $1-5 off here and there, and other little freebies from souvenir shops. Sometimes though, you luck up and find some really good deals to hole-in-the-wall places that turn out being really good.
    *Biggest thing I try to remind myself and my group every year is this: Just because you're in a big city doesn't mean you have to eat out EVERY meal. Like the guy above said, pack sandwiches or something you can eat easily and go spend an afternoon on the beach or by the pool. Or if you eat in the hotel, do burgers or hot dogs so you can feed your small crowd for cheap.
    *While cruising Ocean Blvd and wherever else is fun and cool, save your gas for one or two nights and walk down the strip instead. You'll see a ton of cars that you'd otherwise miss (and you see some KILLER rides there), get to see what MB has to offer that you might otherwise miss by simply driving by, and if you have the right camera... you have the opportunity for amazing photo ops. Especially if you hit the skywheel.
    *If you need to go across the city, save your gas and avoid stop-and-go traffic on Bus. 17. Use Grissom Pkwy, SC 22, and SC 31 to get around and bypass all the hassle.
    *If you get there and realize you forgot a towel, swimsuit, trunks, or some other beach accessory, avoid walmart and other normal retailers. Hit the Eagles/Pacific/Whales or whatever other of those "novelty" shops that are every 1/2 mile down the road. Their stuff usually isn't the best quality, but its dirt cheap and gets you through the vacation.

This is a topic that Mike and I talk about all the time. Every year we see people fall into the same "trap" when it comes to being on vacation. We are also guilty of the same thing. There is a way to make things affordable. I'm going to have two cars at the beach for the entire week this year, so I've got to find a way to save for gas in the extra vehicle. Where we stay breakfast isn't offered. Instead of eating out we will have something cheap in our room for breakfast like PopTarts, etc. For lunches this year I plan to pack sandwiches. That will save some $ plus it will keep me away from the greasy fast food (that I love).

The other thing that we are doing this year we are actually starting this next month. We are prone to eat out way too much at home on weekends. We plan to skip one night eating out and each on the cheap at home each weekend. We will then put $20 that we would have saved eating out into an envelope to go towards gas/food for MW. If I could put at least put $40/month in the envelope, that would be $120 before July hits. That's not a lot, but every little bit helps.

While in Myrtle, you have need to "live a little" but that doesn't mean eating out at every meal.

Like Mike said, if you haven't made reservations yet, you can choose something off the beach (away from Ocean Blvd) and save quite a bit right there. It also helps if you share a room with someone.

There's tons of ways to cut costs, we are interested in hearing your ideas.
    Mustang Week Staff
    '96 Procharged Cobra

Advice I can think of so far:

Plan for your vacation early so you can book your stay at the ideal place that is close to most of the Mustang Week activities you'll be participating in

Build a Mustang Week fund throughout the year or at least save change until MW. It could buy you a little gas to get to Myrtle Beach if nothing else

If you have a large family/group staying in one place have each person/couple provide a meal for everyone. If there is more than one car in your group carpool when you can.
    DR. CALEB YOUNTS
    2003 True Blue V6 - The Scourge
    2002 True Blue Saleen S281SC

The other option that many overlook is camping.

You can camp for about half the price of a night in a motel. Myrtle Beach State Park and the Myrtle Beach KOA both have good rates but I'd book early. There are many other private campgrounds that are a little more per night but offer great amenities.
    Mustang Week Staff
    '96 Procharged Cobra

Mustang Week is a money saver in itself for the amount of events you can participate in for the price.
    We always make a trip to Wal Mart for water, drinks, snacks, and lunch items, this saves a lot over vending machines for the week.
    We may go out for a nicer meal two or three times for the week, sometimes just ordering a pizza to the room after a day of Mustang fun is a good meal.
    We also take advantage of the great beach breeze weather and walk to a lot of places when we do go out, saves a little gas, and keeps the Mustang clean lol.
    I start saving a little money back every year for my MW fund knowing it will be worth the pinch in July.
    John
    Lewisport, ky.
    Chief
    2001 ES GT

Dollar General stores. Skip the lines at the grocery store, usually you can always get in and out at one of several in Myrtle Beach. Plus I've found if I go to the grocery store I spend too much money on stuff I don't need or end up not eating. If you keep it simple at the dollar general you can still get everything you need, usually cheaper, without all the temptations of a big store for impulse buys you don't need.
    Check out JDSmotorsports.com for daily photo updates from Mustang Week 2016!!!
    Check out our archives below!
    2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
    Follow us on snapchat & IG jdsmotorsports & @jdsmotorsports

Just for laughs I just did a Priceline search for Myrtle Beach for the week of Mustang Week. A "value" motel located on US 501 just past the MB Speedway (Wednesday's venue) is showing $41/night. Now this is a "budget" motel and you get what you pay for, but during Mustang Week some folks really only need place to sleep/shower. Doing a quick search on Kayak I was able to find 3 beachfront motels in the $70-$80/night. If you were only going to be there a couple nights, that would great rates for the area.

My suggestion for getting a low rate is to act NOW before all that is left is higher-rate rooms.
    Last edited by GeoSnake; 03-28-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Mustang Week Staff
    '96 Procharged Cobra

PBJ's all week long! I only cruise Ocean on Friday night and I'm on my bike training most of the week. So workout drinks and energy bars are the norm for my meals. I'm trying out the Hamptons instead of the Resort this year, saved $700. Lots of souvenirs (i.e. parts), I can get this year.

like someone said above, the Mustang Week events aren't expensive at all. What gets you is hotel and eating out alot.

We don't mind spending money on eating out; that's what we enjoy about traveling around. But one awesome way to save A TON of money is to get a group of friends and rent a house down in Garden City or Surfside. We've done that 3 times, and each time the price was $200-$250 PER PERSON FOR 7 DAYS. Good luck finding a hotel that cheap for even 5 days. I've always wanted to stay at Holiday Sands South and have that experience, but if you're trying to do it on a budget, renting a house is the way to go.

There's one particular house we've stayed at twice... we had around 8 or 9 people each time, and it was about $200 per person. Another year, we had 16 people (yes 16 lol) in a huge 2-story house with our own private pool and an elevator; it was only $250 per person. The house and parking were so spacious that we were not in each other's way at all, and it is still considered one of our best years looking back.
    Derrick
    Comp Orange 2004 Mustang GT - pretty much stock, Coyote swap in the future
    Black 1987 Mustang LX 5.0 - pretty much stock, currently restoring
    Past: bolt-on 2006 Mustang GT, built 2000 SVT Lightning

MW Attended: '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15...

One thing to remember guys that Myrtle Beach banned Beach tents so if you do plan on going to the beach make sure you have an Umbrella and lots of sunscreen.

Like tonight before I headed out to the cruise in I put some drinks in a small cooler & a few snacks. This can save a ton.
    Mike Clay
    Gretna VA
    Mustang Week Staff
    1980 Cobra
    1982 GT
    02 GT vert
    2011 F 150

Since returning from MW 2013.... loose change goes in the kitty,,,,,, (Grandson loves to put it there), mail in rebates on other goods and services work ,
    going in the pot as well

2000 Roush Stage 2 Triple Black Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by snkchmr View Post
    Like tonight before I headed out to the cruise in I put some drinks in a small cooler & a few snacks. This can save a ton.
    This can save a ton! When a 20 oz. soda cost $1.60, you are much better off to have a cooler with some goodies!
    Mustang Week Staff
    '96 Procharged Cobra

I just did another Kayak search and found a half-dozen motels (on or near the beach) for under $80/night for the week. I found one place off the beach for $42/night. Now, you get what you pay for, but as long as it's clean and has a working bathroom...
    Mustang Week Staff
    '96 Procharged Cobra

Tip of the day.... Dollar Tree. I spent a bit of time during my lunch today roaming around the Dollar Tree across the street from my office. Nothing in the store is over $1. You would be really surprised what you find in Dollar Tree for a vacation, especially snacks, sodas, etc. They have several locations in/around Myrtle Beach. I know there's one near Broadway and one across the street from MB Mall.
    Mustang Week Staff
    '96 Procharged Cobra

I am an avid Dollar Tree shopper, you can find quite a few good items there.
    I buy every bottle of octane booster they have a lot of times, cant beat it for a dollar a bottle.
    John
    Lewisport, ky.
    Chief
    2001 ES GT

Quote Originally Posted by snkchmr View Post
    I'm the worlds worst for not doing this. You know as many car shows as I go to you'd think I'd be prepared. But I have a tent that rarely gets taken, I do good to remember my chairs, let alone a cooler.

BUT I crammed by big high dollar survive in the sahara cooler in the trunk of my Mustang and it worked out AWESOME at the 50th. I grabbed breakfast out on Friday morning and that was it except for one meal I really didn't need to eat inside the track. Loaf of bread, jumbo bag of chips, sammich meat, pack of cheese, a few sweets and loads of drinks and I was set. I easily saved 100 dollars the two days I was in Charlotte. Gonna try and do similar at the power tour and for sure at Mustang Week.
    Check out JDSmotorsports.com for daily photo updates from Mustang Week 2016!!!
    Check out our archives below!
    2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
    Follow us on snapchat & IG jdsmotorsports & @jdsmotorsports