Latemodel Restoration Supply, Inc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Annual Mustang Week Coupe Upgrade Project Thread

Default The Annual Mustang Week Coupe Upgrade Project Thread

Thought I'd copy this thread over here from another forum, so if some of these updates seem quick, that is why! Been working on her for about a month now.
    Seems like every year the only time my 79 ever gets ANY love is the months right before Mustang Week. Heck I could probably count on one hand and for sure on two how many times its been driven since Mustang Week of last year:lol1: So I figure I might as well call it an "annual" thread. Actually, its hard to believe I have had THE SAME CAR at what will now be three Mustang Weeks in a row! For those behind here is a little recap of the cars history.

Sitting at the car lot when we traded for it in 2008.

My dad gave it to me in the fall of 2009. I immediately made a few upgrades including tail pipes, flowmasters, a set of pony wheels, and a few other odds and ends.

Then in the spring of 2010 I decided to return the car to its original black color. Also changed the tail lights out along the way.

From here the project really took off to get it ready for Mustang Week 2010. I added gauges, a rear seat delete, black carpet, 5% window tint, ditched the old two barrel and cruise control for a four barrel holley and aluminum intake, and tossed in an aluminum radiator and electric fan.

Loaded up and ready to head to the beach.

Kirk @ Pro Tech Detailing put his final touches on the car and the new paint to get it ready for the show!

Day of the show at Mustang Week 2010

Couldn't believe it when I was awarded with Best 79-86!!

After Mustang Week the car kind of went into hibernation for a few months, didn't really drive it much at all.

Until the Mustang Week 2011 build, :lol1:
    Being out of work for most of 2011 this was a pretty mild build, about the only upgrades I made were a new power steering pump(that still whines), a new ac compressor(that still doesn't work), changed the water pump and alternator while I was into it and painted up the front of the engine. About the only appearance mod was a set of clear headlight covers.

Still came out pretty good with a Top 75 Award. I mean like anyone was gonna beat Rob's T-top coupe for Best 79-86 :lol1:

After Mustang Week I picked up a set of black pony's and lowered the car. I also went back to the factory tail lights.

So after all that random chatter that brings us to this year!!

Here are the plans:
    Finally install the Hurst shifter handle I've had for two years
    New steering wheel
    Install Corbeau seatsDONE
    Paint trim and grille back to correct shade of black instead of gloss black
    Put wider tires on the back
    Replace rack and pinion, power steering pump, and hoses
    Hopefully locate a correct or semi correct 8 track tape player(car came factory with one)DONE
    Make a new car show display board to reflect the new modifications
    New hood emblemDONE
    And something else custom and secret I've got up my sleeve that should really set the car apart from the rest if I can pull it off!!

Okay so I've added another turn to the project to get done before mustang week. The interior in the car was factory turd brown which has faded to a kind of ugly orangish color. So its time for a change. I've bought a set of black door panels and black 1/4 window pieces for the car. I'm not big on dyed interiors but I figure I have the two large pieces so the rest shouldn't be an issue. The seats are still going to be a brown/tan color so I'll probably leave the headliner the factory color and kind of do a mixed two tone interior. Hopefully it turns out good!!

The radio hole was already butchered when I got the car so I just cut it some more :lol1: I'm gonna have to repair the part below the radio that some tool cut too much at some point along the way. Hopefully I can build it back up with something before I dye the interior black. Either that or I am gonna make a plate to go over it or something. Any who here she is. George Jones/Tammy duet 8 track and all atriot:

The parts are pilling up!!

Now if I could just get some put on!!!

Seats are in!!!!

Also taking these to get cleaned up. Ditching the chromies and going back with something special with these

Picked up a killer deal on a new hood emblem.

Okay its getting pretty dang close to crunch time so I figured I'd better do a little work today while I had a chance. Got a few interior pieces pulled out to paint. HOPEFULLY taking it for the rack, shifter, stuff I can't do next week. Then I'm gonna let my mechanic pull the rest of the interior so I can paint it. It's gonna be here before ya know it!!

That brings us up to date today. Door panels are coming off as we speak!!

Awesome thread. Reminds me of my first car that was a 1980. Was painted one of those funky 2 tone paint jobs, but we painted it black and changed it from a 6cyl to a V8. One of the funnest cars I ever owned. That is one I would like to have back!

Car looks good with the blakc ponies, and keep the orginal tail lights. Like the look much better IMO.
    1969 MACH 1
    445 Stroker/TKO600
    SoT Full Suspension

Thanks! Yeah when I first got it I hated those lights. But I must be getting older! LMAO. But yeah I like it a thousand times better with the original lights!

All right! Its really getting down to crunch time!! This time exactly one month from today the car will be on the trailer and I will be about an hour into the ride to Mustang Week! Its fun though right now watching stuff that you have been planning and plotting for months come together!

Making templates to cut the filler plates for the old door handle holes.

Painting the plates.

New holes cut in the panel for my door handles. It was funny, one of these panels was already factory marked on the backside where the whole was supposed to be. I guess maybe it was a late 79 panel that was never used so it got cut as an 80.

New carpet kit going on!! Tedious work no way I'd ever make it in an interior shop!

Trim installed around the old door panel. Its not gonna be perfect, but once its done and together I think it will look okay. There will be a black panel covering the hole, with the Ghia emblem moved to that location.

Drivin' home from work last night. Reminds me of my old 82 Vert I had driving a foxbody with the interior torn all to pieces and missing!

Did more work today!!

Finishing the door panel carpet!

Making good use of a can holding the plates down till the glue dried!

One finished, one to go. I don't think they turned out too bad.

I'll be adding new Ghia emblems where the block out plates are instead of the factory location above the arm rest. Hopefully the holes won't stick out too, too bad. I think it will be unique and decent looking.

A few shots of the car for a before and after. If the changes I'm making over the weekend go as well as I hope, these may be the last time anyone sees the car "finished" and together until Mustang Week.:smmon:

Wasn't gonna post these but I guess I just won't post the finished product or the special touches I have planned.

Just started taping tonight, hit the trim with the pad just to see how much work it was gonna take. The car has needed this since the repaint glad I finally got the balls to do it!!

More scuffing and taping.

Wow this picture turned out fuzzy, dang I phone. Got about half the car taped off. Just gotta cover the wheels, put some plastic on the roof and I'm about ready to paint!

Check out JDSmotorsports.com for daily photo updates from Mustang Week 2016!!!
    Check out our archives below!
    2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
    Follow us on snapchat & IG jdsmotorsports & @jdsmotorsports

Messing around with the ford grille emblem. At first I was gonna just leave it off, but now I'm thinking I may put it back on. Trying to add a few small custom touches to the car and tie in some blue(more on that later!). I thought it turned out pretty good coming from someone who sucks at trying to make anything custom work!!

The starting point, she was weathered and had saw better days!

Redoing the black, this was the only mistake I made, I should have been more careful not to get black on the part I was gonna paint blue, it was hard to get it covered back up with the blue.

First coat of sonic blue.

Gonna do one more coat but you get the idea.

It's not perfect but no one will be looking at it this close when its on the car so I think it will look pretty good.

looking good!

Slow Monday at work means time to work on the bosses project!!

Got what trim panels I have off cleaned and ready to paint.

First coat of black.

2nd coat, looking pretty good!

My man fabricator Josh making me nervous as hell as he cuts out the hole on the 2nd door panel!

Whew worked on her for a couple hours tonight.....

Tape, tape, tape.

The wifey helpin' out a little!

Finally ready. All I need to do is put my bright lights on it and double check my taping and scuffing one last time, then wipe her down and she is ready to spray!!

Snuck off a little early from work and got a couple of coats of paint laid down on her this afternoon! Must say I am VERY impressed with how it turned out. The trim paint hid most of the small imperfections in my 30 year old molding alot better than the shinny black did. Plus it just looks right. All coupes should have correctly painted trim IMO no matter what the year. Also redid the grille and the headlight bezels etc. Can't wait to get it all back together and get it outside and washed up to really see how it looks.

Paint!!

Also almost have the other door panel finished!!

All right did a little more work tonight. It was just too dang hot to do much though but I felt like I needed to make some sort of forward progress.

Got my emblem put back in the grille.

Pulled the tail lights out to paint the trim on them and polish the lights up. Don't mind the butchered holes where I made the mistake of putting later lights in it at one time.

When I had the car painted it had the larger new style lights in it and apparently the body guy thought it was easier to tape over them than pull them. No biggie except these correct lights are thinner so there was just a hair of the old read showing from the last paint job. So I fixed that right quick, just a quick touch with the ole' rattle can. Most of it will be covered under the lights anyway so no need to go all out body shop on it.

Brought my headlight trim rings home. Gonna take them to work tomorrow and polish them up a little bit so this will serve as the before picture.

Also got my new air cleaner in. After looking at it I was REALLY worried it wasn't going to fit. And it didn't with the base it came with. So I switched it out for the base on the Mr Gasket chrome one I had on there and it clears the distributor with it. My stud was too short so I couldn't bolt it down but with a quick smear some polish on the breather at the high points, shut the hood test it seems to be clearing. Once I tightened it down it should pick up just another little bit so I should be good. Its gotta be CLOSE under there though!

Got a little work done today.

Taped the tail lights up and painted the trim on them.

Got the lights back in.

Also got the new air cleaner stud in, the headlight bezels back in and the clear covers back on. Didn't snap a picture though.

Also got a box of goodies in Friday from FMR!

Brake and clutch pedal covers, dew rails for the windows, and new parking light and turn signals.

Pulled her out and washed her up tonight. Taking it to my buddies shop in the morning to get some work done that I can't do/don't feel like doing.

Pictures don't really do the trim justice but it looks 100% better. And yes I know I haven't taken the tape off the marker lights yet.

Okay here is what is getting done to her at my buddies shop.

Rack & Pinion
    Drilled and slotted rotors
    Paint the rear drums blue
    Paint calipers blue
    Install new steering wheel
    Install Hurst shifter handle
    Change oil
    Pull console out so I can paint it
    Install black rear interior panels
    Hopefully put my new valve covers on if they get done in time
    Install new marker and turn signal lights
    Routine check up so to speak to make sure everything is good for cruising at the beach

Progress, progress, progress. I feel like I gotta make some sort of progress almost every day. Gonna be slow for the next few days though while the car is at my buddies shop. I will have a few parts and pieces coming in to be painted though. Also ordered a few other odds and ends from FMR and Summit today, more on that later.

Worked out perfect that the new Ghia emblems came in today. I'm not 100% sure what these were off of? The ebay add said Pantera and Mustang? Not sure, I know they aren't like the ones that were on the door panel, but I liked them. Got super lucky they just BARLEY fit, I mean one more 1/10th of an inch and they would have been too tall.

Got the panels finished up and on, didn't snap a picture of the drivers side on but you get the drift. At some points along the way I had my doubts on whether I was making the right call going black and whether I should have just restored what I had, but after seeing these door panels on I'm 100% sure I made the right call. Love, love, love them. Can't wait to get some more black in there!!

Also spent alot of time today making a plate to cover the butchered radio hole and to mount the 8 track flush in. Didn't get any pictures of it but its a long way from done. Lot of cutting, trying, remeasuring, cutting, etc....

That black looks great. Much better than the original orange color.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINIAN View Post
    That black looks great. Much better than the original orange color.
    Lol "carmel" LMAO.

Gonna be a slow day for progress while I wait on him to get around to getting it inline to be worked on. Did get a couple of goodies from Summit today.

Kit to install my new wheel.

Went ahead and decided to change the wires even though it has a pretty new stock-ish set on there. This isn't really a performance mod, I just wanted some cool blue ones that said ford racing!! Also looking at ordering some cool wire separators for them instead of the zip ties I am running now!

Didn't think I would be making any updates today but after lunch my buddy come dragging in a bunch of interior parts for me to paint.

And the finished product.

Doing the rest of the trim pieces now, some jack off used a ton of window glue along the windshield trim so that piece has been real fun to get cleaned up for paint!