Pro-Dyno

Thread: '03 V6 Projects

Default '03 V6 Projects

Hello everyone. I thought I would post in regards to the various little projects I have planned/that are in progress with my '03. I have several things I would like to get done before MW, depending on how my budget pans out, but a few things are already underway. On my weekends off from school I am logging hours working on an upper intake manifold. Towards the beginning of the year, I purchased this intake from a guy who had mildly ported it (gasket-matched) and found out that someone previously had used a grinder on the factory cast aluminum. I decided I would try and finish what they started and get the intake to a nice, smooth finish. I figured maybe someone on here would find this interesting. I am currently sanding the intake by hand and have made considerable progress since I bought it, although it is far from done. I'm still sanding on it and also plan on picking up some small sandpaper wheels to use with a rotary tool. Here are a few pictures, the last one being a little bit older and showing what kind of progress I'm making with some of the long runners.

DR. CALEB YOUNTS
    2003 True Blue V6 - The Scourge
    2002 True Blue Saleen S281SC

Nice job. I've been wanting to clean up my engine bay like this. Just haven't found the time to do it. Keep it up.

Thanks. I consider myself lucky that the intake I was going after already had some work done to it, otherwise I think I would have just settled for painting my stock intake blue or something. It definitely feels like it will take a lot of time to finish, and I don't expect to be able to get it perfectly smooth and shining, but at this point the end result will look better than the factory cast look, regardless. If you have the opportunity you should pick up a spare intake and try something. I plan on doing some work on a lower intake if I get the chance, maybe trying to do a minor porting job for the first time.
    DR. CALEB YOUNTS

Boy, that's a heck of a lot of work, but it looks sweet. Hard work always pays off.

2004 SC281

Mustang Week 2015
    5th Annual Sn95/New Edge Cruise (7/23/16)

keep on sanding bro, it looks good. i copt out and got mine powder coated.. ill throw a pic in here if i can find one

This is my old turbo setup but u can see the powder coated upper and valve covers on my v6.. Can't wait to see Yours finished man
    2000 Built 3.8l mustang with the help of a custom turbo kit
    ** only stock piece is the driveshaft **

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I still have some good time before Mustang Week so I'm going to try and make that my deadline to get it finished. Fortunately, I'll be out of school for the summer in a few weeks and I can hopefully get more time in besides the occasional hour or so on the weekend.

There's no shame in powder coating though, that set-up does look great. I may go that route when I decide to do something with valve covers, who knows.
    DR. CALEB YOUNTS

Your engine is looking clean. Great job. Thanks for sharing here at http://www.mustangweek.com

Just to give an update on this project, since those last pictures were taken I have still been hard at work sanding, but haven't found time to do a whole lot so far this summer. Now, the clock is ticking and I have to really get busy to try finishing this before Mustang Week if possible. This past weekend I used my rotary tool and sanding wheels/disks to hit some areas I could not get that well with just my hands. I took these afterwards, and am currently in the process of blending these places in/going over the whole intake again by hand.

DR. CALEB YOUNTS

Time is flying by as Mustang Week approaches, but I continue to make at least some progress with the various projects planned for my car. Most recently, we successfully installed my new Roush front bumper. Compared to the weathered and bug-ridden factory V6 bumper, this bumper makes a world of difference on the car, not only for how clean it is for the time being but for how dramatic of a look I feel it gives the car. I felt like sharing a few pictures on the forum here.

DR. CALEB YOUNTS