Sparkles Detail - Distributor of Croftgate USA

Thread: Motor Swap.... 600 miles from Myrtle Beach

Default Motor Swap.... 600 miles from Myrtle Beach

So here's the deal, if I make this thread and you guys hound me, there's a much better chance my car will actually be done in time. Basically I need to get the motor in the car and running comfortably in a month so I can make the 600 mile trip to MW2011, drive around the beach, and drive it 600 miles home after.

This will be the continuation of this fail of a thread:
    http://www.southeasternfoxbodies.com...ead.php?t=3676

shortly before MW2010, i moved to NJ right outside Philly. This year i hope to be driving the car down. Last year i flew down, picked up the diesel truck i bought, and towed the 86 coupe back up here that i then sold to a guy in NY the next weekend.

So t-minus one month, and this is where we are:

here's the new motor:

nothing to hide
    explorer short block
    afr 165 heads
    lunati 51014 cam
    lunati valve springs
    scorpion 1.6 roller rockers
    typhoon edlebrock knockoff
    long tubes
    t56

after mustang week im gonna drop some 24lb injectors and a lightning MAF in it, get it tuned, and looking for around 300 to the tires.

wow,not bad,your on the right track so just stay focus and on point about your plans and it'll all come together like you want!!!

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

do it to it man!

You can deffenately have it done in a week to two weeks tops.

Andy I know you can get it done in time......DO WORK SON!!!
    C. Scott "Bones" Wilbanks
    Rally Appalachia 2011, Team BlackFox Car #80

spent most the night chasing down a helicoil set for a stripped upper/lower intake bolt. cleaned up the garage and bolted the water pump one. ill borrow a 21/64 drill bit from work tomorrow and hopefully get the hole fixed without breaking the lower intake.

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Got us an update brother?

well?
    [B]RBR RED BANK RIDES

been a little lax on updating this forum!

managed to get the t56 installed by myself, on my back. that was a fun night. the hardest part was getting the trans up on the trans jack under the car. I've never weighed it, but its gotta be close to 150lbs. got the crossmember in, and all the trans hookups on. spent the 4th holiday in SC with friends, got an ear infection and didnt do much the weekend after. My dad drove the 700 miles up from SC on friday.

got dad up here to bail my butt out and get this thing back together.

took him to a Phillies game yesterday. Buddy ended up getting us into his luxury box, all you can eat and open bar

this is how the motor looks as of now

the pinion seal is leaking pretty good. instead of chancing it, found a good deal on a stock 8.8 with 2.73 gears for the 1400 miles in a week cruise. got the housing bolted in today

this is how i ended up making the 6speed swap work. moved the crossmember back so the rear mount becomes the front mount, then modified and welded an extra rear support to the subframe connector. works great. makes the hpipe fitment a bit awkward, but doable.

Your gettin there!

Hey also, if you run into any problems at mustang week, let me know and i will be glad to assist if somthing needs to get fixed.

I know you will prob have barely enough time just to drive it around for a couple days before makin the trip, so not much time to see if anything goes wrong.

Ill have the majority of my tools with me also, floor jack, jack stands and set of tools.

Pony Drivin' Clemson Fan

Glad you're making progress bro! And props for rocking the Tiger Paw in Philly! I'm sure if anything goes wrong at the beach, you'll have plenty of people there who will be MORE than willing to help you out. Can't wait to see this thing man!

Thanks guys! I'll have a hatch full of tools, back pack of clothes, and a cooler of diet coke and snacks for the drive. I'll be sure to post up if i need something!

Looks like im going to be driving back on Monday and taking an alternate route, that makes me a big uneasy. I'd rather drive back on 95 on sunday when i know all the other northeast mustang guys are heading back and would stop to help me.

put the new wheels and tires on my trailer today... just incase.

made a bunch of rookie mistakes. hoping to get it fired up tomorrow night.

looks like im gonna whimp out and trailer it down

What did you happen to do?

got it started last night. hoping to drive it tonight. made all of the rookie mistakes, but now i know for next time.

mission accomplished

Congrats and have a safe trip!

Cya at the beach brother!
    C. Scott "Bones" Wilbanks
    Rally Appalachia 2011, Team BlackFox Car #80