Holley Performance Products, Inc.

Thread: Remembering Bill Jones

Default Remembering Bill Jones

This thread is intended for everyone to share some of their thoughts, experiences, a remembrance story thread for Bill Jones. As with any great individual, Bill's legacy here will live long past his time here on earth - and thus, will live eternally in our hearts, our thoughts, and our actions. So please share with us your favorite memory of Bill to help us all remember just how much of a positive impact he made on the lives he's touched.

And thanks Donna - I think this was/is a great idea!

The first time I met Bill I went to the HCMC show in 05 and I was talking with Bill and he gave me so many pointers on carshowing and how the judges work , he even let me borrow some stuff to use on my trim on my car. He was always there for a good time with friends. Bill really taught me that spending time with friends was more important than winning a trophy. Bill will always be in my memories for the man that he was and the father he was to his children. I only hope that when my time comes I leave the same impact on my friends and family as Bill did ...... RIP my friend.
    2004 Cobra -Competition Orange Vert

We've done the some sorta thing over at the MOB site. Click here for some good stories.

I have a couple to share.

Story 1:
    When John and I started the club, he told me that we had to get this great guy named Bill that was a good friend of his. I met Bill for the first time a few days later and I must say that I could tell that this was a great man. He talked to me as if we had known eachother for years.

Throughout the years, Bill has proven his friendship time and time again. Like Mark said, he helped me with car shows, working on my car, and just sitting around enjoying the company. The day he found out I was going to look at a Bullitt, he called me up and said that if I get that car then he has something for me. A week or so after getting the car, Bill comes over to Tim's to help install my chin spoiler. He takes me out to his car, opens his trunk, and hands me a 1/24th scale diecast model of a DHG Bullitt. He said that he had owned it for several years but that he wanted me to have it. I can still hear him jokingly say, "It'll give you something to remember me by".

Story 2:
    It was shortly before Mustang Week last year and the club was eating at Sir Pizza. After we had all finished eating, we stood around and talked in the parking lot like we always do. Around 8pm or so, Bill called me over to his GT and pulled out a binder. The binder listed all of the cars that were registered for the MW show. He proceeded to point out all the Bullitts that were registered due to the Bullitt Nationals being held during Mustang Week. This led to discussions about Bullitts, Mustangs in general, Steve McQueen, Mustang Week, life, kids, and everything in between.

Everyone else had left around 8:30 I reckon, so it was just me and him. Before we knew it, it was almost 10:30. We had stood there and talked for nearly 3 hours. We both live in the Graham area, so we proceeded to head out and take the long way home, just driving together, enjoying the weather, and enjoying eachother's company.

We love and miss you Bill!

I was talking with Bill last year at MW and we where talking about our Daughters. I told him I was not looking forward to when mine are old enough to date, He told me, "I'm a firm believer that the only good boyfriend is a scared one!" All of my Daughters future boyfriends will hear that as my introduction to the "Gun Speach."

Is it ok with yall if I share some of these memories at the service tomorrow? Rev

This really sucks to lose a member of mustangweek. I thought he was doing better. What a shame, i feel so bad for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev's 5.0 View Post
    I was talking with Bill last year at MW and we where talking about our Daughters. I told him I was not looking forward to when mine are old enough to date, He told me, "I'm a firm believer that the only good boyfriend is a scared one!"
    I've heard Bill make that same statement.

I don't remember if I met Bill prior to my first MustangWeek, but I do remember he treated me like an old friend the first (and every) time we met. The last few times I saw him, the first thing he always asked about were the twins. You could really tell Bill was a special person and greatly valued his relationship with his family. As others have said, I can only hope to be as good a father as I believe Bill was.
    85 GT T-Top
    Modified Mustangs Magazine June 2007 Feature
    Mustang Week Participant '05 , '06, '09

i actually got the chance to meet bill last year when i brought my car over to kirk for the detail on the monday before everything started. i had talked to bill in the previous years momentarily, and was impressed to say the least in the fact that knew me and my car. i got the chance to talk to him and kirk and chuck and susan for a while. and i must say it felt like i knew him as long as the rest of the group we had there. he was definitly an asset to the mustang world, and to anyone who got the chance to meet him even if it was so briefly. my thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family, he will truly be missed to say the least.
    T.J.

Just a little hellion powered 2-valve 04GT
    507/526 rwhp/rwtq sae on low boost & 93 octane!!!

www.badmustangsclub.com

www.tacksharpinnovations.com

Bill was the first of the Staff members that I met sometime in the Spring of 1999. I had just purchased the 96 Cobra that I still have to this day. It was box stock, except for the Flowmasters and shifter. I had come home from grad school for the weekend and heard about a MCA show in Goldsboro NC. I cleaned the Cobra the best I could (I detailed for $ at dealerships all through undergrad and grad school) and took off for the show. I was parked beside Bill and his 94 Cobra. He immediately started talking to me as if he'd known me for years. It was his enthusiasm and friendliness that sparked me to continue going to shows. I'd see him at most all shows I hit for the next couple of years. Later, after we were a couple years into planning Mustang Week, I reallized that Bill had become more than a close friend, but more of a role model. I always looked up to him and appreciated all the enjoyable conversations, laughter and heartfelt advice he gave. I'll really miss him.
    Mustang Week Staff
    '96 Procharged Cobra

I met Bill around 96 at a show & approached him & ask if he would like to buy some of my old 94 Cobra stuff I had just purchased a 96 & wanted some money to mod it.

I guess most of you know bill had no use for my aftermarket parts. After talking to him for a few I knew that red car was going to be a keeper for him & I told him about some of the dealership promotional items I had. After about 30 min or so I knew I liked Bill enough to want him to have this ultra rare dealership poster I had.

So I sold it to him for the cost of the frame because I knew if I never seen this man again he would keep the car & this huge tech card would mean more to him then it ever would have me. I'm glad I did that because the rest of the stuff went on eBay & the money I made is long gone.

Bill was a good friend & great role model. People tell me all the time you should have been a comedian & looking at the pics with Bill I remember how much I loved to make him laugh.

I had not sleep that much over the past few days laying in bed thinking about what I would say at the memoral but I just could not get my nerve up to say anything & really did think I could get though it.

So yesterday when we came in our group to the church I had my windows down some music going & I kinda forgot what was going on for a split second & was thinking Bill was in the gray car in front of me. That really messed with me.

Bill I will miss you greatly & if your daughters ever need anything or even if they come to Mustang Week I will do my best to keep an eye on them.
    Mike Clay
    Gretna VA
    Mustang Week Staff
    1980 Cobra
    1982 GT
    02 GT vert
    2011 F 150

MOB Member

Mike I couldn't agree with you more. There is so much that I wanted to say and share about Bill and his impact on my life. I wanted so bad to share that with everyone, but I knew that if I stood up I would have lost it. Bill wanted it to be a celebration and a good time..

I have to say that if it wouldn't have been for Bill being the only Mustang friend I had in the Greensboro area for the first number of years, I probably would have lost the spark, and wouldn't have known about MW the first year. And if I hadn't attended MW a number of times my now Husband would never have had a reason to call me. Our first phone call was him calling to see what to expect at MW. Well, we ended up getting married that year right before MW, so we didn't get to attend that year. Then the next year I was Pregnant with our beautiful son. And I can remember Bill "Go sit down, you don't need to be out in this heat." "I'll do that for you, you need to sit down." "Go sit in the trailer, it has A/C" Even though he was busting his butt, he would deliver a message for me, or take the guys a drink, to keep me from walking in the heat.. I hate that we missed this last MW due to buying a home, in a better area to raise our son.
    Bill took care of me those first few years I was up here. I didn't know anyone at the shows, I didn't have anyone to give me a hand working on my car (Mechanical and Cleaning).. But if Bill was there, he would offer to help me.
    Bill, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have the beautiful family that I have. THANK YOU!!
    I think of him as a second father... He will have a special place in my heart.. Bill, I will always love you.. And Girls, if you need ANYTHING!!!!!! Let us know.. Laura, I've known you for years and Courtney we just met, but I feel like you two are sisters I never had.. Always know you have your Mustang Family here for you.

Sincerely,
    Stacy
    '98 V-6 w/some mods
    Hubby's '01 GT w/some mods

I can't say thank you enough for all ya'll that came! Thank you for all the prayers and even if you couldn't say anything your "Actions spoke louder than words." Please continue to pray for his family, the MW family, and all Bill's friends. If any of ya'll ever need me please don't hesitate to call. Rev

Hey MW Staff, I believe that he's up in heaven cheering ya'll on as you get everything ready for this year. I spoke to his Mom the other day and she said she's doing better. I hope some of his family will be able to attend this year. I know he would be proud of all that ya'll are doing. Check out Hebrews chapter 12 sometime. Rev.

I know that the excitement is setting in, its only 2 weeks to go. Can't help but picturing him in Heaven, with that big grin on his face! Going, I can't wait to see how much fun everyone has at MW. Evertime I get on the LOUD PEDAL Im gonna picture that big grin!

Unhappy

I will miss him.

Me too.

We remember. Especially today as we head out to an event for which Bill was a large part of why it is what it is today! Thanks for the memories Bill!!

Myself and several other MOB members headed down here yesterday. I made sure to toss the Bullitt diecast that Bill had given me in the back seat. Miss u Bill!

Couldn't help but think of the song, "There's Holes in the Floor Heaven" when it was raining yesterday. But Keith from Mustang Enthusiast said the rain made for a good photo shoot yesterday. Miss yah man.

Was Bill's Cobra at MW 2014? What happened to that car? I saw one that looked like it, but was not sure.